By KP, our resident food critic
Italian food is a classic favourite amongst the masses. To be fair, I don’t think I have ever met a soul that didn’t enjoy some kind of Italian food. With Spain being so close to our Italian neighbours, and with lots of Italian immigrants calling the Barcelona home, it’s no wonder we have some of the best authentic Italian food around. Don’t tell the eye-talians but I have had better pasta here in Barcelona than in Rome. True story. Here’s a list of me favourite spots:
- Mama Mia (€€): my local favourite, this place does the BEST pasta dishes ever (my favorite is the amatriciana)! Super generous portions, super legitimate flavours and really nice service! They hand make all their breads and doughs in house and serve it complimentary with your order – on weekends ya even get green Sicilian olives on your table! They also do one of the best menu del dias in PobleNou with a changing daily set menu for 11€ Monday to Friday at lunchtime.
- Buon Appetito (€€): one of the OG Italian spots in town, these guys do one of the best pizzas in Barcelona. Really authentic, great price point and fresh produce. They hand make all their pasta in house!
- Benzina (€€€): these guys are located in one of the funkiest spots in town, just off Carrer Parlament (highly recommended you stroll around here). They do amazing traditional Italian dishes, beautiful cocktails and have a really nice wine list. This place is super edgy, think rock n roll meets Italian food. It’s a cool place to be seen and a tasty place to eat.
- Frankie Gallo Cha Cha Cha (€€): just like the name suggests, this place is fun. Great spot for a birthday dinner, or pre-night out meal. They have amazing pizzas (woodfired duh), epic Italian cheeses and a really fabulous wine list. They also blast dirty hip hop all night and the restaurant is super Instagramable. I highly recommend!
- Macchina Pasta (€): some of the nicest pasta in town, they do amazing take away portions (I hate being ripped off when ordering online- this place does not in any way do this) and have heaps of locations through town. It’s a really nice price also and you can customise your pasta dish to be whatever you please!
- Gallo Nero Barcelona (€€): for Roman style sandwiches look no further! Gallo Nero is YOUR place for antipasti! They have a HUGE selection of cold italian meats, cheeses and olives. You can opt for one of their antipasti boards or grab one of their sandwiches on fresh Italian bread (they are the size of your face!). They also have a nice Italian wine & cocktail list which helps wash all the goodness down. Located bang in the middle of town, it’s hard to go past.
Mamma mia, wouldn’t a pizza be just right to squeeze in between a Barcelona Boat Party and a huge night in the city’s best clubs.